OneChild is a growing grassroots organization with opportunities for dedicated early career/young professionals looking to gain hands-on experience in the fields of child rights and child protection. This is achieved by providing you with the guidance and support to meet your learning goals within the framework of furthering young people’s action against the commercial sexual exploitation of children (CSEC).
Note: Internships are offered at our Richmond Hill office. These are UNPAID positions.
Interns are involved in a variety of tasks, depending on their interests, skill sets, and needs of OneChild. The work includes, but is not limited to:
- Designing and administering advocacy and fundraising campaigns for OneChild youth
- Representing OneChild at networking events, fundraisers, speaking engagements conferences; compiling and developing youth-friendly resources and tools on CSEC
- Maintaining constant contact with youth by offering them support and guidance and developing relationships with school boards and educators
- Attending or coordinating conferences, workshops, trainings, and meetings
- Public speaking at schools and to youth groups, and attending volunteer fairs
- Applying for grants and maintaining contact with funders and donors, and establishing new connections and partnerships
- General administrative work (ie. answering phones, taking minutes, mailing packages, database entry, updating website).
Interns generally work for a minimum period of six months, which is extendable. The number of days and hours are flexible depending on your requirements and OneChild’s needs, though we prefer a commitment of 2-3 days a week and 8 hours a day, including a one-hour lunch break.
- Currently enrolled in, or completing a post-secondary degree in a field related to our work
- Highly innovative, enthusiastic, committed, and possess a true passion for child rights and a sound understanding of CSEC
- Experience working with basic word processing (ie. Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint)
- Willingness to travel within Canada and abroad
- Strong research and writing skills
- Other qualifications and considerations that are favourable: experience working with and /or mentoring children and young people; strong communication and public speaking skills
How to Apply
Please send your resume or CV and references, with a cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please indicate your requested internship.
“My time as an intern with OneChild has been the experience of a lifetime. Fulfilling the position of Worldshaker Coordinator, I have had the opportunity to learn about the issue of CSEC in great depth, and have been presented with many amazing opportunities. I have gained more experience than I ever expected, and working with Cheryl truly inspires me every day. Working with such passionate and dedicated people has been an incredible experience, and I truly can’t imagine a better place to intern if you are interested in the issue and are looking to gain experience with a growing grassroots organization. I know the future holds great things for OneChild, and I will always feel incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with such an amazing organization.”
-Angie Callan, Worldshaker Intern
HIGH SCHOOL CO-OP
Are you a high school student in the Greater Toronto Area looking for a co-op placement that will inspire, teach, mentor, and introduce you to other amazing youth? Contribute to the movement behind the scenes by giving speeches, having your say at meetings, and helping to develop cool campaigns. Send us an email telling us why you’d like to work with us and what your requirements are at firstname.lastname@example.org.